NC DHHS Enterprise Cloud Architect and Advisory
Date PostedMarch 13, 2023
Offered Salary$0 - $131 / hour
Expiration dateMarch 17, 2023
Duration12 Months and 4 Days
Interview TypeWebcam Interview Only
Work AddressRTP Durham NC
The NC Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) is seeking an experienced Enterprise Cloud Architect and Advisor. This position is responsible for overseeing the Department’s cloud computing strategy. This includes cloud adoption plans, cloud application design, and cloud management and monitoring. This position will indirectly lead teams of technologists to advance solutions delivery roadmap, providing guidance and oversight.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Evaluate projects from an Enterprise perspective, ensuring alignment with business needs, IT roadmap,
architecture and security standards, internal controls, and IT methodology.
• Develop/ Implement Cloud Strategy, Cloud Governance/Principles Framework
• Collaborate with Stakeholders and develop/ Implement Cloud Adoption Framework
• Establish Cloud Advisory Council
• Establish leadership, define standards, process, and community of practice to facilitate cloud computing
within our organization in support of DHHS business and strategy requirements.
• Leads architectural content across all aspects of architecture in support of IT delivery.
• Provide leadership regarding cloud architecture and the implementation of infrastructure to support the
AWS migration of systems.
• Establish and maintain cloud architecture, tools, and processes.
• Contribute to the success of application migration projects by supporting multiple customers with
environment support and monitoring of the cloud environments (e.g., AWS, GCP, and AZURE)
• Architect and improve continuous integration and continuous deployment (CI/CD) tools and processes
through infrastructure automation.
• Lead cross functional project teams, and workgroups.
• Build and maintain effective working relationships with business stakeholders as well as technical leaders
within IT and other engineers throughout the organization (product engineering, data/application platforms,
• Guide Solution Architects / Tech Leads to ensure that application and integration architecture aligns with
system design guidelines and enterprise architecture standards.
• Be the champion for a cloud and security-first mindset and ensure solution follows DHHS security
guardrails/policies defined by PSO.
• Mindful of the Healthcare Industry and Digital Health trends.
• Foster innovation and implement creative out-of-the-box ideas by conducting brainstorming sessions,
hackathons and other innovation events and elevate the thinking.
• Assist in the development of policies, standards, and guidelines that direct the selection, development,
implementation, and use of Information Technology within the enterprise.
• Research and present ideas for the improvement of systems and processes for consideration by project
• Provide leadership in adapting existing application architectures to cloud native architectures.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities / Competencies:
• Knowledge of AWS RDS, Aurora, Lambda, NoSQL, Redshift, DynamoDB, S3, and other datastore cloud
• Knowledge of UNIX (Linux) and Windows Server environment and scripting (bash, shell, Python etc.)
• Knowledge and Hands on implementation experience on the AWS Networking components.
• Active status as an AWS Certified Solution Architect (Professional preferred)
• TOGAF – The Open Group Architecture Framework – Certification (Professional preferred)
• Track record of evaluating plans to identify risk, ensure alignment of goals, plans, and priorities across
teams and functions, and meet commitments; ability to create clarity about what success looks like and
inspire velocity in self and others to achieve results that accelerate functional impact.
• Capable of stepping up to address difficult issues and saying what needs to be said.
• Demonstrated knowledge of SaaS, infrastructure, and cloud computing architectures
• Demonstrated knowledge of data security and compliance controls
• Demonstrated knowledge of advanced automation (bots, AI, low-code platforms)
• Familiar with Microservices, containerization, immutable infrastructure and migrating existing workloads to
Management prefers applicants with the following:
• Experience collaborating with State and Local Government
• Experience in complex, cross-functional team environments
Minimum Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in Information Systems Management, Information Technology, Computer
Science, Business, Management, Engineering, or another related discipline
• 10+ years of professional IT experience working with Windows Server or Linux environments.
• 5+ years of experience with AWS Cloud (IAM, EC2, ELB, RDS, S3, LAMBDA, API Gateway, CloudFront,
SNS, SQS, DynamoDB, Cloudwatch, ElastiCache)
• 5+ years of experience leading organizations through major change initiatives
• 7+ years of experience in IT and stakeholder relationship management
Responsibilities and required skills
Experience with AWS cloud (IAM, EC2, ELB, RDS, S3, LAMBDA) (5 years)
Objective decision-making ability based on strategic objectives priority, business performance analysis and resource availability (5 years)
Strong supervision, organizational, interpersonal and time management skills. (5 years)
Demonstrated presentation, training skills, oral and written communication skills. (0 years)
Ability to communicate effectively at all job levels, use excellent evaluation skills, and ability to relay information in legible reports as required (5 years)
Experience with AWS cloud services API Gateway, CloudFront, SNS, SQS, DynamoDB, Cloudwatch, ElastiCache (5 years)
Experience with Cloud technologies & SaaS applications running on Cloud (0 years)
Strong experience with Cloud migrations/DevSecOps and implementations. (0 years)
Experience leading organizations through major change initiatives (5 years)
AWS Cloud Certified (0 years)
Experience with implementing one or more RPA technologies. (0 years)
Experience collaborating with Federal, State and Local Government (0 years)
Experience managing implementation of a statewide IT project (0 years)
Experience in establishing and implementing governance model for the Cloud Migration and transformation efforts across programs (0 years)
Experience in IT and stakeholder relationship management (7 years)