Senior Software Engineer
Date PostedFebruary 21, 2023
Expiration dateApril 22, 2023
Systems Engineers work within the global R&D organization with a variety of engineering disciplines, with engineering cohorts distributed throughout the United States and India. The Systems Engineering Team owns the overall development life cycle responsibilities from specification to final acceptance testing.
- Driving collaboration with Product Managers, Architects, Development, Quality Engineers, and Solutions Delivery consultants
- Developing and clearly conveying market needs in the form of System Use Cases and testable product requirements.
- Continuous process improvement to optimize the overall workflow and product quality improvements.
- Collaborate with product management to understand business cases and associated requirements.
- Facilitate negotiations between product management and product development to ensure technical scope is appropriate for time and cost constraints.
- Elaborate customer deployment and application scenarios needed to expose implied requirements
- Work closely with Product Management and Service Delivery to compile lists of features and functions as criteria for product requirements
- Ensure requirements are prioritized in line with customer need and aligned with Itron business objectives
- Compose, maintain, and incrementally evolve testable user stories
- Host conversations to determine detailed behavior meets user story intent
- Establish acceptance criteria to confirm the story has been implemented to customer satisfaction.
- Contribute to user documentation to ensure operational aspects of the product are clearly conveyed
- Identify and communicate technical risks.
- Effectively communicate design requirements and specifications to development groups using a variety of tools.
- Demonstrate core competencies and governance throughout the product life cycle by collaborating on engineering solutions, managing scope change, and assessing issues.
- Support other Systems Engineers when coaching is needed, or interaction is required to build confidence in designs or ideas.
- 5+ years of experience as a Systems Engineer or related architect role.
- Conflict management skills are a must as the Systems Engineer is the technical lead on our programs and must be able to have difficult conversations to move decisions forward, while maintaining a collaborative relationship.
- Communication skills, strong organization, and the ability to lead productive meetings must be strengths to ensure success in this role.
- Experience with Systems Engineering (behavioral analysis, requirements flow down and traceability, hardware and software specification allocations, use cases, sequence diagrams, interface control documents, verification and validation) and understanding of the systems lifecycle.
- History of building productive relationships with colleagues at sites around the world, as this is generally a collaborative design effort as opposed to an isolated individual contributor role.
- Ability to derive, elaborate and justify critical aspects of system qualities in terms of product scalability, performance, reliability, availability, and serviceability.
- Experience working with cross functional teams to establish detailed product behaviors, time and cost estimates based on input from all Engineering disciplines.